The program educates students in advanced skills in historical research, writing, interpretation and research, and provides opportunities for training in teaching and public history. Four areas of concentration permit students to plan their coursework to best suit their goals within the overall program requirements and the range of courses offered.
The program includes graduate course offerings in historical research and historiography, a portfolio course, reading seminars, graduate elective units, a scholarly practicum, and a culminating master’s experience. Elective units may be taken in other fields with the approval of the History Graduate Coordinator.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with an M.A. in History from Cal State East Bay will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of United States history and the history of at least one other geographical region;
- analyze major arguments and themes in contemporary historiography, cross-cultural and interdisciplinary approaches to historical study, and humanistic values and evaluate their validity;
- make use of Bay Area research libraries, archives, special collections, and digital sources;
- analyze both secondary and primary sources, and demonstrate advanced research abilities;
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Public History
- Introduction to Digital Historical Methods
- Introduction to Teaching of History
- World History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHistory View 488 other Masters in History in United States
- If you were educated outside of the U.S., you must have earned a degree equivalent to a 4-year U.S. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. An official determination of eligibility will be made during the application process.
- Have the equivalent of a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Pay the 70.00 USD non-refundable application fee.
- Official academic records of all colleges or universities attended (High School Transcripts are not required)
- English language exam score (TOEFL or IELTS)
International15546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15546 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National15546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15546 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State8274 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8274 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.