Middle School Education from Murray State University will prepare you to become a certified teacher for middle school students in grades 5-9 in two curriculum content areas (English/Communications, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies).
You will focus on specific course content and teaching methods appropriate for the middle school student. Coursework and practicum experiences (field-based learning activities) provide access to current best practices and research in the middle school education field. The culminating experience is a semester-long student teaching experience in two classroom settings in a public middle school.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, there will be shortage of middle school teachers through 2018. Critical need areas are in mathematics, science, bilingual education, and foreign languages.
- Exploring the Teaching Profession
- Educating for Human Development
- Inclusive Teaching of Diverse Learners
- Effective Pedagogy
- Professional Perspectives for Teaching
- Middle School Writing and Content Literacy
- Middle Level Teaching Strategies
- Advanced Strategies of Teaching in the Middle Grade
- English and Communication
- Teaching Literature, Writing and Grammar in Middle Schools
- Advanced Expository Writing
- British Literature
- American Literature, 1890 to the Present
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation View 4052 other Masters in Education in United States
- You must hold a Middle School (5-8, 5-9) Provisional Certificate or its equivalent.
- Transcripts for all years of university (with university's grading scale)
- If transcripts are not written in English, you must also submit certified translations
- University Degree OR Graduation Certificate
- If the graduation certificate is not written in English, you must also submit a certified translation
- Proof of Financial Support
- English Language Proficiency
- Copy of Passport for applicant and all dependents
- Letters of Reference
- Statement of Purpose
- Minimum GPA of 2.25 for possible conditional admission
International24000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 12 months.
National24000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State11250 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 375 USD per credit during 12 months.
National and Local rates apply to Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee and Arkansas.
Living costs for Murray
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.