Coursework and research emphasize field and laboratory investigations of geologic and environmental problems. Our field orientation takes advantage of the university's proximity to the Sierra Nevadas, the California Coast Ranges, coastal California, and the desert provinces. This unique location gives faculty and students access to an unparalleled outdoor laboratory, all within short trips from the university.
The department's close relationship with state agencies and the private sector enables many students to pursue internships or part-time employment in geologic and environmental work while they complete their degrees.
At California State University, Fresno, the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences offers graduate courses and research leading to the Master of Science in Geology. The graduate courses and research areas are such that several different career goals can be met, including the following: (1) preparation for enrollment in a Ph.D. program in geology or a related field, (2) preparation for employment as a professional geoscientist with industry or government, and (3) advancement of knowledge of the earth sciences and teaching skills of secondary school and junior college teachers.
Graduate research opportunities are available in several fields, including but not restricted to hydrology/hydrogeology/hydrogeochemistry, stream restoration, geophysics, tectonics, engineering geology, geomorphology, structural geology, volcanology/igneous and metamorphic petrology, sedimentology/paleontology/stratigraphy, paleoclimatology and high temperature, and stable isotope geochemistry.
The graduate program also offers research opportunities in applied geology. Two applied geology emphases are offered:
- engineering and environmental geology and
- hydrogeology. Students of applied geology are encouraged to undertake theses involving support and supervision by professionals in private and public sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Natural Disasters and Earth Resources
- Natural Disasters and Earth Resources - Virtual Labs
- Historical Geology
- Geology Field Trip
- Environmental Science
- Introductory Field Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology View 239 other Masters in Geology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit a Cal State Apply online and pay $55 USD (non-refundable) by credit card
- English language proficiency
- Original or certified copies of all university transcripts with literal English translation. Any coursework presented after an offer of admission is made will not be considered for credit
- Financial document (no older than 6 months) & Affidavit of Support from sponsors showing the amount and source of support for a minimum of one school year of study
- A copy of the biographic information/photo page in your passport
- Three Letters of Recommendation (if applicable)
- Official admission test score report (GRE* or GMAT*) - if applicable
- Additional Documentation (if required by the department)
International15147 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15147 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for California
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.