At California State University, Fresno, the Biology Department offers a research-intensive Master of Science in Biology with the opportunity for specialization in several areas of study. Among these areas are ecologically oriented field studies in fresh water, terrestrial, and marine environments; molecular, cellular, and developmental biology of plants, animals, and microbes; physiology of microbes, plants, and animals; entomology; microbiology; parasitology; botany; zoology; systematics; and animal behavior. The program also prepares candidates for teaching biological science disciplines at the secondary and community college education levels. The master's program provides a strong foundation for those seeking advanced education at universities offering the research doctorate (Ph.D.) or other professional degrees. The Biology Department has further informational materials available on request.
The Master of Science degree program in Biology assumes preparation equivalent to a California State University, Fresno undergraduate major in biology. Students having undergraduate majors in fields other than the biological sciences may enter the program, but may reasonably expect additional requirements to produce equivalent preparation.
A master's candidate interested in pursuing marine science studies must meet California State University, Fresno Biology Department master's candidate requirements as well as those of MLML. Such candidates are encouraged to consult the Biology Department's MLML coordinator for information and to read the MLML information presented at the end of the graduate information.
The department is housed in a well-equipped science building. Among the specialized equipment and technologies available for students are
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) thermocyclers; apparati for conducting molecular and immunological analysis of nucleic acids and proteins;
- genetic recombination, including use of electroporation and gene guns;
- a bioinformatics computing laboratory;
- a proteomics work station; cell and tissue culture facilities;
- fermenters and bioreactors;
- fluorescence, confocal and 4-D microscopes;
- ultracentrifugation; radioactive materials methodologies;
- Introductory Biology
- Life Science
- Plant Biology
- Animal Biology
- Introductory Microbiology
- Introductory Human Anatomy and Physiology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics View 257 other Masters in Bioinformatics in United States
- Submit a Cal State Apply online and pay $55 USD (non-refundable) by credit card
- English language proficiency
- Original or certified copies of all university transcripts with literal English translation. Any coursework presented after an offer of admission is made will not be considered for credit
- Financial document (no older than 6 months) & Affidavit of Support from sponsors showing the amount and source of support for a minimum of one school year of study
- A copy of the biographic information/photo page in your passport
- Three Letters of Recommendation (if applicable)
- Official admission test score report (GRE* or GMAT*) - if applicable
- Additional Documentation (if required by the department)
International15147 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15147 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National15147 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15147 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.