The Genetic Counseling program program of Augustana University is a 21-month, full-time program, in which the student learning experience equally involves classroom learning, hands-on participation, and clinical rotations. While the first year is more heavily weighted toward classroom learning, students begin to have clinical patient interactions in their first semester. During the second year, the balance shifts away from classroom learning toward a richer clinical experience. Classes and rotations take place face-to-face Monday-Friday during typical business hours, with a few additional evening and weekend activities.
All students enrolled in the program spend their first academic year in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area, whereas half of second-year students train in the Sioux Falls area and half train in San Diego, California. Students in both locations are connected with each other through technology and frequent communication. Each location has unique opportunities, and both have been ranked among the “Happiest Places to Live”. Students may indicate a second-year location preference through the national Genetic Counseling Admissions Match process. Both locations have a limited number of spots.
The mission of the Augustana-Sanford Genetic Counseling Graduate Program (ASGCGP) is to provide an education of enduring worth that cultivates wisdom and advances patient care by developing genetic counselors into astute communicators, scholarly professionals, and engaged members of their communities.
The ASGCGP seeks to train well-rounded genetic counselors and give them a strong foundation in both genetic science and interpersonal communication skills.
Our graduates will:
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Display strong scientific and empathetic foundations.
- Demonstrate the capacity to function as genetic counselors in fast-paced, real-world settings.
- Exhibit collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Produce meaningful graduate research projects.
- Understand and appreciate the far reach of genomics (e.g. personalized medicine, business, diversity, media).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Medical Genetics/Journal Club
- Genetic Counseling
- Communication & Interviewing Skills for the Genetic Counselor
- Genetics in Medicine
- Genetic Diagnosis & Laboratory Methods
- Metabolic Genetics & Newborn Screening
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCounselling View 982 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- All applicants must apply through Slate and submit materials, as noted, to Augustana University's Office of Graduate Education
- $60 application fee
- A bachelor's degree is required to enter the program. However, you may complete your application prior to completing your undergraduate degree
- Official transcript(s)
- While the program does not specify a minimum GPA, the applicant pool is competitive. The large majority of applicants have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores - Optional
- Resume or CV
- You must upload a personal statement—1250 words or less
- You must submit three (3) references
- If you received your undergraduate degree from a country other than the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, in addition to the materials noted above, your application requires a World Education Services (WES) Course-by-Course Evaluation Report (Basic or ICAP)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
International26265 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26265 USD per year during 21 months.
National26265 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26265 USD per year during 21 months.
Living costs for Sioux Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.