In fact, the first building ever inhabited by the school wasn't even located on the present-day campus.
The infirmary at Fort Hays State University, a former army post that had been abandoned in 1889, was where 57 students paid a tuition fee of $5 for the first summer courses in 1902. The stone guardhouse down the path at what is now Historic Fort Hays served as the gymnasium.
The school's first leader, William S. Picken, actually was in favor of keeping the college on the site of Fort Hays. But a group of townspeople, spurred by real estate interests, wanted to move the college closer to the city of Hays.
And so the move began in 1904, but not before a prairie dog town had to be removed from the land where the college's first building on that site, Picken Hall, was under construction.
Create your own place in History
Historians explore people and societies to see how and why they developed in the ways they did, and fearlessly drop their assumptions to interpret the causes and effects surrounding the cultures they study. Since they demonstrate extraordinary critical thinking skills and passionate inquiry, history majors are extremely attractive to future employers and find careers in a variety of fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Orientation to History
- World Civilization to 1500
- Modern World Civilization
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History View 170 other Masters in Ancient History in United States
- Using Google Chrome, submit an Application for Graduate Admission at the appropriate website:
- Pay the $40 domestic application fee or $50 international application fee.
- Provide the Graduate School with an official bachelor's degree transcript and master's degree transcript (if applicable) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Provide entrance examination scores as required by individual departments.
- Provide letters of recommendation.
- Provide any other documents required by specific departments, such as a personal statement or vita, background check release, writing sample, or digital art slides.
- International students must provide evidence of their ability to speak English.
International18300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 610 USD per credit during 12 months.
National18300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 610 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State7260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 242 USD per credit during 12 months.
Graduate On-Campus (contiguous state) $341.29
Living costs for Hays
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.