- Degree completion in as little as 2 years
- High quality, affordable education and career preparation
- Study food and flavor chemistry, sensory evaluation and food analysis
- Small classes with accessible, knowledgeable and supportive faculty, including flavor scientists and an emulsion chemist
- Scholarship recipients receive in-state tuition
- Courses take place on TWU's Denton campus
Why Food Science and Flavor Chemistry at TWU?Study in TWU's state-of-the-art food science laboratories
Get hands-on experience using unique equipment used in industry labs, including gas chromatography/mass spectrometry-olfactometry equipment and a microfluidizer that is one of the few available in the United States with the Food Science and Flavor Chemistry program of Texas Woman's University.
Flavor chemists study food and break down food compounds scientifically so their taste and aromas can be replicated in the lab, developing new flavors and reformulating old ones.
Over the past two years, TWU has been awarded more than $700,000 in research studies by national food and beverage companies, including Dr. Pepper Snapple. Our flavor chemistry students perform the research in support of these studies:
- Evaluating the flavor associated compounds in strawberries in an attempt to identify attributes associated with U.S. taste preferences
- Studying watermelon to identify the specific agents contributing to flavor
- Examining mushroom for their flavor notes and role they may play in satiety and their potential role in weight control
Flavor chemists work in the government and private sectors. Companies that focus on pets, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food and beverages hire flavor chemists to work in areas such as:
- Regulatory control
- Quality assurance
- Research and development
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Food Chemistry
- Sensory Evaluation of Foods
- Food Analysis
- Seminar in Food Science
- Special Topics (Flavor Chemistry)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry View 546 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
- Undergraduate semester credit hour prerequisites, including Chemistry (9-12 hours), Food Science (6-9 hours)
- Preferred minimum GRE score of 143 verbal and 141 quantitative; GMAT 330 total or verbal score of 21 and quantitative score or 17; or MCAT total score of 500-507 (125-126 critical analysis/reading; biological and biochemical foundations of living systems: 125-126).
- Minimum 3.25 GPA on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 undergraduate semester credit hours and all post-baccalaureate and graduate semester credit hours.
- Submit a two-page personal statement of interest specific to the area of flavor chemistry.
International30528 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15264 USD per semester during 24 months.
National30528 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15264 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State15336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7668 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Denton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.