Kutztown University's College of Visual and Performing Arts offers the first and only Master of Fine Arts in Communication Design within the PASSHE system, for students looking to focus in graphic design, interactive design, advertising design and Illustration. Our low-residency program is nationally ranked as one of the best online AND most affordable MFA graphic design programs in the U.S.
At the Communication Design program of Kutztown University you’ll join a community of designers and faculty who are passionate about what they create. We empower you to evoke meaningful change, develop your strengths and celebrate the future of design—all through individual development and visual expression. Here, you will embark on a journey to discover the power of your voice and grow, not into someone new, but to become your most creative yourself.
Gain the ability to assess the effectiveness of the design and how it can influence behavioral change. Learn new and innovative ways to solve problems using expert communication design. Broaden your design experience through 12 full-time faculty members with expertise in key focus areas of design, with real-world experience.
Enjoy the flexibility to direct the focus of your studies and relish the creative freedom that our curriculum provides. The program culminates with a focused thesis project spread over three courses dedicated to research, creativity, and implementation. The final project will be exhibited publicly and presented in a variety of venues and media.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Solve communication challenges by identifying the issues, targeting audience, researching, and/or developing innovative solutions.
- Create and develop visual solutions in response to communication challenges.
- Determine audience objectives based on a spectrum of human factors; test audience response; and/or assess the outcomes.
- Apply the contexts of past, current, and future design.
- Communicate with other creative professionals through research-based, cohesive, and persuasive rhetoric.
- Personal Exploration
- Professional Exploration
- Grad Sem: Unconventional Type
- Grad Sem: Design Pioneers
- Grad Sem: Emerging Media
- Grad Sem: Contemporary Topics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Public Relations View 570 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities
- Artist Statement
- Online Portfolio (upload to SlideRoom)
- Three letters of recommendation
International15480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 774 USD per credit during 36 months.
National15480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 774 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State10320 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 516 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Kutztown
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.