The Language Education programme at The University of Edinburgh is designed to develop the professional knowledge and skills of those with an interest in language and/or the teaching of languages. We welcome current and future teachers of all languages including English as a foreign or additional language, European languages, Mandarin and other world languages, Sign Languages, as well as any heritage, community or regional languages.
The programme will develop your knowledge and critical awareness of how we teach languages, how we learn languages and how we use languages, in order to enable you to best teach the languages you know. This programme will enable you to become a ‘future thinking’ language educator, empowered to respond to transnational migration flows, digital developments, and various models of language education policy. The Language Education programme is distinctive – it is positioned in our global world and seeks to develop Language Educators that are agents of change, ensuring their learners are equipped to become multilingual, pluriliterate citizens.
You will learn through a combination of fundamental theory and practice, including classroom observation. You will benefit from resources and expertise offered by English Language Education at the Centre for Open Learning and the Moray House School of Education and Sport: leading centres for the studies of language and teaching.
This programme will develop your love of language and its teaching, giving you the knowledge and professional skills you need to enter the challenging field of language education or to extend your current career. Whether you are a newly qualified or experienced teacher, or you are involved in a related area of language teaching, such as curriculum development, you will benefit from the blend of educational and linguistic foundations on offer.
This qualification will allow you to pursue opportunities in foreign or second language teaching, either as a newly qualified teacher looking to enter the profession, an experienced practitioner seeking to diversify or reinforce your current career, or a non-qualified teacher with an interest in foreign language tuition.
You will also gain a host of valuable transferable skills that you can carry into any career situation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language and the Learner
- Languages, Society and Education
- Professional Practice
- Sources of Knowledge: Understanding and analysing research literature
- Conceptualising Research: Foundations, Assumptions and Praxis
Option courses are subject to change each year but have previously included:
- Bilingual Education
- Critical Literacies and Critical Pedagogies in L1 and L2 contexts
- Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching
- Evaluation and Design of TESOL Materials
- Global Englishes for Language Teaching
- Investigating Individual Learner Differences
- Language and Intercultural Communication Pedagogy
- Language Awareness for Second Language Teachers
- Language Testing
- Online Language Learning
- Second Language Teacher Education
- Teaching Languages to Young Learners
- Teaching texts across borders - from picture books to teenage fiction and film
- Text, Discourse and Language Teaching
- Theory and practice of second language learning
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies View 555 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline. Previous teaching experience is not required.
- We may also consider your application if you have relevant employment or experience; please contact us to check before you apply.
- If you are studying at a Chinese 211 institution, you must have a minimum overall average of 80% for courses and at least 80% on the dissertation. For non-211 institutions, you must have an average of 85% for courses and 80% on the dissertation.
International22850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22850 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA11300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11300 GBP per year during 12 months.
PT MSc fees / year
- Home/EU: £5,650
- International: £11,425
FT PgDip / year
- Home/EU: £7,535
- International: £15,235
PT PgDip / year
- Home/EU: £3,770
- International: £7,620
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.