Whether you are a newly qualified or experienced teacher, or you are involved in a related area of language teaching, such as curriculum development, you will benefit from the blend of educational and linguistic foundations on offer.
You will learn through a combination of fundamental theory and practice, including class observation. You will benefit from unrivalled joint resources and expertise offered by the department of Linguistics & English Language, the Institute for Applied Language Studies and the Moray House School of Education: all leading centres for the studies of language and teaching.
For the MSc in Language Education at The University of Edinburgh you will complete six compulsory courses and two option courses, plus a dissertation. The PgDip comprises a similar combination of compulsory and option courses.
This qualification will allow you to pursue opportunities in foreign or second language teaching, either as a newly qualified teacher looking to enter the profession, an experienced practitioner seeking to diversify or reinforce your current career, or a non-qualified teacher with an interest in foreign language tuition.
You will also gain a host of valuable transferable skills that you can carry into any career situation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language and the Learner
- Language, Education and Society
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Professional Practice
- Sources of Knowledge: Understanding and analysing research literature
- Conceptualising Research: Foundations, Assumptions and Praxis
- Applied Linguistics and Language Teaching
- Bilingual Education
- Corpus Linguistics and Language Teaching
- Evaluation and Design of TESOL Materials
- Global Englishes and Language Teaching
- Investigating Individual Learner Differences
- Language and Culture Pedagogy
- Language Awareness for Second Language Teachers
- Language Testing
- Online Language Learning
- Second Language Teacher Education
- Teaching Languages to Young Learners
- Text and Discourse in Language Teaching
Option courses may include:
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation View 816 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline.
- We may also consider your application if you have relevant employment or experience; please contact us to check before you apply.
International21600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21600 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA10700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
PT MSc fees / year
- Home/EU: £5,350
- International: £10,800
FT PgDip / year
- Home/EU: £7,135
- International: £14,400
PT PgDip / year
- Home/EU: £3,570
- International: £7,200
UK government postgraduate loansIf you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK's governments. The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on your programme, the duration of your studies, and your residency status.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.