Primarily for those with previous training or professional experience, it explores the expressive potential of performance and the relationship between performers and camera.
The Acting for Screen course at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama will build on your existing skills and focus on the specific needs of the year group.
- Draw on the expertise of Central’s permanent staff team and specialist professionals from the industry
- The course aims to encourage your development as a creative artist with the flexibility to work across all performance mediums, specialising in screen performance
- The emphasis of the training is on producing actors who, on leaving, have a high skill level, with the necessary technique to apply to a screen context.
Specialist, rigorous training
Throughout the first two terms, you will follow rigorous training in acting, which will concentrate on the core skills of voice, body, acting and creative interpretation. The principles of study derive from psychophysical methods, particularly the techniques of Michael Chekhov and Stanislavski.
The range of classes across the first two terms will include screen technique; this will essentially examine the distinction between screen and live performance. It will also cover visual storytelling, working in – and adapting to – shot size, cheating, hitting the mark, shooting contemporary scenes from television and film, and the preparation of different styles of work, including soap, drama and comedy.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Film History: Theory and Practice
- Film Art
- Refiguring American Film Genres: History and Theory
- Visual Arts
- Method Acting
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no formal closing date for direct applications to Central, but you are strongly advised to apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance Fine Arts View 217 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should normally have a first degree in the broad field of performance and drama studies, although applications from students of other disciplines may be considered if they have sufficient experience of performance. Your application may also be considered if you have appropriate professional experience, or can otherwise demonstrate your potential to undertake this form of postgraduate study successfully. An offer will normally only be made after audition and interview.
- To audition for a place on the MA Acting for Screen, upon receipt of your application, we will ask you to submit a self-tape consisting of a short monologue (maximum three minutes). The monologue must be from a recognised source (play, film, television drama).
International23000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.