About the course
Designed primarily for students with previous experience and/or training, the MA Acting - Classical masters programme at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama is a creatively, physically and intellectually demanding, advanced level, conservatoire acting programme specialising in Classical plays.
- Perform in two professionally supported public productions and an industry showcase
- Hone the individual technical craft of the actor, and release your collaborative and imaginative creativity within a small and diverse ensemble company (typically 14-16 students)
- Learn through practical group classes in acting, movement, voice and stage combat; seminars on theatre history, dramatic theory and research skills; and individual tutorials and feedback panels.
- Formative assessment is through a mixture of practical tasks, including showings of prepared scenes and structured improvisations, filmed performance, and theatre performance; in addition continuous assessment is reflective of your effort, attitude and improvement in class. You will also undertake a Sustained Independent Project (SIP), which may include elements of solo performance and critical writing.
Areas of study:
- Greek Tragedy, Chorus and the Mask
- Clowning and Commedia dell’arte
- Shakespeare and early modern English drama
- Stanislavsky, the Method, Realism and Expressionism
- Russian theatre and writers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no formal closing date for direct applications to Central, but you are strongly advised to apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesMusic Theatre & Dance Fine Arts View 85 other Masters in Fine Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants will normally have either undertaken conservatoire training, have professional acting experience, or have a degree in the broad field of performance and drama studies. Students from other disciplines may be considered if you have sufficient experience of theatre. An offer will normally only be made after audition and interview, and you may also be required to take part in a short practical workshop and/or submit a short piece of written work.
We will require you to submit a self-tape including the following elements:
- Two contrasting speeches of your own choice lasting no more than two minutes each. One of these must be from an Elizabethan or Jacobean play, the other a 20th or 21st century modern piece.
International27500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National22750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22750 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.