There are also opportunities for students to pursue computational aspects of mathematics and fertile connections between branches of mathematics both in coursework and in thesis work.
Mathematics graduates from the California State University San Marcos will be prepared for a wide range of career opportunities as the skills and attitudes fostered in the program are in demand in academe, business, government, and industry. In particular, graduates will be well-prepared to teach in community colleges, and some four-year colleges. They will be prepared to enter a doctoral program in mathematics or mathematical education. The curriculum is also designed for secondary teachers seeking professional growth and improved content knowledge. The computational and applicable mathematics mastered by students will offer graduates training for careers as mathematical scientists in business, government, and industry. There are some opportunities for students to teach undergraduates and assist faculty in their scholarly activity.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students who graduate with a Master of Science in Mathematics will be able to:
- Apply advanced concepts of algebra.
- Apply advanced concepts of analysis.
- Compose and present extended passages of mathematical prose following modern conventions.
- Develop and write mathematical proofs in advanced areas of mathematics.
- Develop and analyze mathematical models and algorithms, utilizing appropriate software and drawing from different fields of mathematics when necessary.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Independent Research in Mathematics
- Readings from Original Sources
- Mathematical Communication
- Cryptography and Computational Number Theory
- Foundations of Analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics View 602 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- A completed university application form for admission to California State University San Marcos
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, with indication of graduation
- A letter of intent requesting entry to the M.S. program, which also includes an expository description of the student’s educational preparation and career aspirations;
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended and official indication of graduation (if not in English, certified English translations must be included)
- At least two letters of recommendation accompanied by waiver forms from individuals who can comment on the mathematical capabilities of the applicant.
International16680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16680 USD per year during 24 months.
National16680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16680 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7176 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for San Marcos
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.