Human security and resilience are interdisciplinary approaches to understanding global affairs. These concepts focus on the security of populations (human security) and their ability to withstand and recover from a wide array of internal and external shocks (resilience), ranging from extreme weather to terrorism and armed conflict.
The concept of human security was first defined by the United Nations Development Programme in 1994.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University ’s graduate degree in Human Security and Resilience is an online program designed for working professionals who want to transition into a career or a new role within the field.
Students benefit from being part of a cutting-edge program whose curriculum is designed to align with current events and security practice, policy, law, and solutions.
About Human Security & Resilience at the Worldwide & Online Campus
Awareness and understanding of the impact of the constant barrage of threats to life as we know it has become a growing area of academic study. Embry-Riddle has created a graduate program in Human Security & Resilience to support individuals who seek the knowledge to meet these challenges head-on. The M.S. in Human Security & Resilience is a 30-credit online program offered through the Department of Security and Emergency Services in the College of Arts and Sciences. The degree is tailored to recent graduates and working professionals who want to advance their careers in this complex specialty.
The study of Human Security & Resilience is an exploration of the interplay between economic security, food security, health security, environmental security, personal security, community security and political security. At Embry-Riddle, you’ll have the opportunity to learn these concepts from military officers, scholars, historians and professionals with experience in defense, environmental security, population health, international business, political science, humanitarian law and other relevant disciplines.
The program’s objectives are for graduates to:
- Study human security and resilience as based on principles put forth by the United Nations.
- Understand the driving factors behind global, regional, and national trends impacting business, human development, diplomacy and more.
- Gain awareness of the challenges of recovery after a natural disaster or manmade catastrophic event.
- Investigate political, economic and social trends impacting the security, health and economy of today’s population.
- Examine the implications of working in a global environment with multinational colleagues and considerations.
- Conduct research and analyze statistics with an emphasis on the study of stressors that can disrupt daily life in our homes, jobs or communities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Internet, Security, and Governance
- Research Methods
- International Law and U.S. Security Policy
- Principles of International Conflict Resolution
- Environmental Security
- Foundations of Resilience
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
International applicants must submit the application for admission 90 days prior to the term start date.
DisciplinesMilitary Science International Business Terrorism & Security View 31 other Masters in Military Science in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts sent directly from all colleges and universities attended (bachelor’s degree is required) Official transcripts of any graduate courses attempted.
- The statement of objectives is an important part of your application. You should give your reasons for wishing to do graduate work in the field you have chosen, incorporating your interests, your background, and your long-term professional goals.
- Letters of Recommendation - Three Endorser’s Recommendations — two academic and one professional.
- Resume - A current résumé outlining your past educational and work experiences.
- GMAT/GRE Scores
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23190 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 773 USD per credit during 12 months.
National23190 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 773 USD per credit during 12 months.
Worldwide and Online:
Military Cost Per Credit Hour: $648.00
Civilian Cost Per Credit Hour: $773.00
Living costs for Orlando
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.