The Pastoral Theology program of Loyola Marymount University provides theological foundations in pastoral theology, especially in the Roman Catholic tradition, and integrates the formation of persons preparing for pastoral ministry with their study of the Christian theological tradition (spirituality, liturgy, faith and culture, ethics, as well as biblical, historical, and systematic theology, and ecumenical and interreligious dialogue). Throughout the program there is a stress on the holistic relationships between pastoral theology, faith seeking critical understanding, and faith that does justice.
Pastoral Theology Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Assess pastoral situations from a critical stance;
- Reflect on ministerial practice in and perfect ministry skills for a culturally and religiously diverse society;
- Perform biblical exegesis with attention both to historical contexts and contemporary pastoral contexts
- Reflect critically on the praxis of faith and of justice within an ecumenically-minded Roman Catholic context
- Situate contemporary theological developments and pastoral practice in light of historical trajectories;
- Interpret the work of seminal thinkers in Christian ethics and analyze contemporary moral problems;
- Establish strategies and habits for the integration of one’s own faith, pastoral practice, and theological expertise.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- New Testament Theology
- Old Testament Theology
- Systematic Theology
- Theological Ethics
- Spiritual Formation for Pastoral Ministry
- Supervised Pastoral Field Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
International applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least three months prior to the first term of their enrollment.
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology View 224 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- A demonstrated ability to do graduate studies. This requirement can be fulfilled by providing a range of information, including: graduate work completed or advanced degree obtained, evidence of undergraduate work, including GPA and submission of written academic work (e.g., term paper), scores received on the GRE, the Miller Analogies, or other standardized tests (recommended but not required)
- A personal interview (with one of the faculty members of our department)
- The Official Online Graduate Division Application for Loyola Marymount University
- A $50.00 application fee
- A copy of all post-secondary transcripts
- A Statement of Intent
- Two Letters of Recommendation Forms from persons acquainted with your professional and academic background
- A notice of which Master of Arts program to which you are applying
International15780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15780 USD per year during 12 months.
National15780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15780 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.