Students have the unique opportunity to specialize in one of three distinct tracks of study: Literature, Creative Writing, or Composition and Rhetoric. Due to this unique structure, the English program of Loyola Marymount University addresses the needs of diverse students – scholars planning to pursue doctoral studies, writers seeking to hone their creative craft in pursuit of publication, teachers at the high school and college level, and professionals working to cultivate critical reading and writing skills applicable to careers in the public sector.
Students who complete the Master’s Degree in English will:
- Master the terms and issues specific to the discipline and profession of literary studies.
- Master professional writing skills for tasks including book reviews, abstracts, short critical essays, and research projects.
- Gain experience giving presentations and making submissions for professional publications and/or conferences.
- Engage critically and deeply with a range of literatures and literary theories.
- Engage critically the content and practices of your chosen emphasis (Literature; Creative Writing; Rhetoric and Composition).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English Literature of the Middle Ages
- Caribbean Literature
- Contemporary Rhetorical Theory: Popes and Presidents
- Poetry of Witness
- The Poetry of Night
- Digital Humanities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
International applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least three months prior to the first term of their enrollment.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 345 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Candidates wishing to apply for the Master of Arts in English should have completed a minimum of five upper division undergraduate English courses with a 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrating undergraduate or other prior experience in your desired track of study/Emphasis (Literature, Rhetoric and Composition, or Creative Writing) is encouraged, but not required
- Completed Application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts
- Personal Statement (1.5-2 pages)
- Writing Sample (10-15 pages)
- All applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they received a high school diploma or a bachelor's degree in the United States.
International15780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15780 USD per year during 12 months.
National15780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15780 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.