- A Master of Arts in History is also a great way to prepare for doctoral studies. Western Carolina University offers four concentrations for its M.A. in History: American or European concentration (non-thesis option), American or European concentration (thesis option), Cherokee Studies option (American concentration, thesis or non-thesis) and Public History option (American concentration).
- The Master of Arts in History is a 30-semester hour program that includes foreign language studies, a comprehensive reading list and a focus on research methods. Students will also get valuable practical experience by creating their own professional journal and will have the chance to present findings and research at conferences. Students concentrating on Cherokee Studies have the unique opportunity of immersing themselves in the culture as WCU is located in the heart of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
- Many graduates choose to continue their studies in a doctoral program, but those looking to enter the workforce have exciting opportunities. Many will use their skills to teach in secondary or post-secondary classrooms. Museums offer a variety of jobs, such as archivists, researchers and curators, that allow you to continue hands-on work with history. Other opportunities in the public and private sectors exist for graduate-level degree holders. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average salary for museum technicians and conservators is $44,320 and the average salary for postsecondary history teachers is $77,720.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
History curriculum include:
- Internship in History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 661 other Masters in History in United States
Recommended standards for admission to any History Graduate Program at Western Carolina University (MA, MAT, MEd) include:
- 300 on the GRE
- 3.0 undergraduate GPA
- 3 supportive letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample (optional)
International20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20438 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10219 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State10030 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5015 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Cullowhee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.