Areas of Study
You are charged with surpassing your previous art achievements by evolving a fresh conceptual premise into a body of artwork relevant to today’s contemporary art world.
As the terminal graduate degree in studio arts, the MFA in Studio Arts program prepares you to become a leader in studio art, professionally and in higher education. As a graduate of the program, you can pursue higher education teaching or professional art leadership roles.
Students in the Studio Art program of the Georgia Southern University are provided with studio space to create their graduate body of work. Students focused on 2D Studio Arts—drawing, painting, and printmaking—have access to the Department’s technology, including a photography studio with green screens, SLR digital cameras, Mac computer labs, plotters and printers in the Visual Arts Building. Students interested in 3D Studio Art—ceramics, sculpture, new media, and jewelry/metals—have access to the department’s equipment including the program’s 3D powder printer, plasma cutting table, biometric sawtop table saw, foundry furnace and gas forge, and nine different types of kilns in the Ceramics & Sculpture Building.
- Graduate Studio Practice
- Professional Practices in Art
- Readings and Research in Art
- Contemporary Art
- Art Theory and Criticism
- Selected Topics in Art
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 793 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Completed requirements for the Bachelor’s degree in a college accredited by the appropriate accrediting association
- Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 18 credits of undergraduate studio arts courses and an additional minimum of nine (9) credits of art history
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average or higher on all undergraduate work.
- In addition to application materials required by the College of Graduate Studies, prospective students are required to submit a creative portfolio for consideration by the admissions committee in the Art Department
- Statement of Interest and Intent describing purpose of entering full-time graduate studio art program and ultimate goal(s) as an artist
- Artist's Statement highlighting body of work presented in portfolio
- Three (3) letters of reference identifying your studio practices and ability to pursue coursework of an advanced critical and theoretical nature
- 20 to 30 images of current artwork
International13260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6630 USD per semester during 36 months.
National13260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6630 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State3324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1662 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Statesboro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.