The Applied Second Language Acquisition is a flexible degree program at Missouri State University that combines training in topics pertinent to second language acquisition theory and practice, including linguistics, research and teaching methods, and materials and assessment design, with advanced discipline-specific coursework focused on the areas of TESOL, Spanish and French.
It is designed for anyone with an interest in teaching one of these languages, including currently certified teachers.
MASLA graduates will be well qualified to teach languages in a variety of settings, both in the United States and abroad.
Careers and outcomes
- A language degree can help you land a career in international business, government service (e.g. Peace Corps, CIA, FBI, Immigration and Naturalization, State Department), publishing, translating and teaching in high schools or colleges.
- The U.S. government is one of the largest employers of people with foreign language skills.
- You can also work in banking, sales, travel and tourism, police work and journalism; these industries have a high need for people with foreign language training.
- Recent MSU graduates now work in Europe and Asia; others have gone to graduate, professional or law schools.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Linguistic Theory
- Principles of Second Language Acquisition
- Introduction to Research Methods in English
- Advanced Research in the Discipline
- Materials and Assessment in TESOL
- Materials and Assessment in Foreign Language Teaching
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 691 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Hold a bachelor's degree in English, French, or Spanish, or a bachelor's degree in another field and significant course work and/or experience relating to the focus areas of this program (linguistics, language teaching, foreign language proficiency, etc.);
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.00 in all previous university-level course work;
- Submit a completed Missouri State University Graduate Application;
International11524 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11524 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National6250 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6250 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State6250 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6250 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.