The Department of Geological Sciences (GS) offers Ph.D. and M.S. programs in a wide range of fields, including surface processes, geomorphology, geomechanics, structural & regional geology, tectonics, sedimentary geology & basin analysis, life and planetary evolution, petrology, geochemistry, mineralogy & mineral physics, environmental geology, geochronology & thermochronology, and geostatistics. The Geological and Environmental Sciences program is offered at Stanford University.
The size and the breadth of interest of the department's faculty provide numerous opportunities for field-based research and laboratory and numerical experiments and for the most modern applications of instrumental analysis and spectroscopy to problems in the earth sciences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Introduction to Geology: The Physical Science of the Earth
- Introduction to Geology
- Introduction to Geology: Dynamic Earth
- How to Build and Maintain a Habitable Planet: An Introduction to Earth System History
- Living on the Edge
- Oceanography: An Introduction to the Marine Environment
- Environmental and Geological Field Studies in the Rocky Mountains
- Our National Parks
- The Worst Journey in the World: The Science, Literature, and History of Polar Exploration
- Landscapes and Tectonics of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Environmental Problems
- Environmental Impact of Energy Systems: What are the Risks?
- The California Gold Rush: Geologic Background and Environmental Impact
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology View 182 other Masters in Geology in United States
- Applicants must hold, or expect to hold before enrollment at Stanford, a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association.
- Applicants from institutions outside the U.S. must hold the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a college or university of recognized standing. See minimum level of study required of International applicants.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are required of all applicants whose first language is not English.
- International students enrolled must be able to read English with ease, understand rapid idiomatic English as used in lectures and group discussions.
International34986 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17493 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National34986 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17493 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Regular quarterly tuition
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.