Students study and apply newly emerging design knowledge from architecture, landscape architecture, creative place-keeping and place-making, urban planning, community development, civil engineering and real estate development. Students also draw from critical works in nondesign disciplines including climate science, social justice, sustainability science, urban ecology, urban climate, smart city, law, and systems theory.
Program studio projects are run as service-learning studios whenever possible. This approach partners students with cities and communities to exchange knowledge and learn from each other. Recent studio topics have covered the climate crisis, urban watershed design, indigenous design knowledge and practice, social justice, community health, the integration of wildlife corridors in compact urban development, and smart city approaches to rapid technological change.
Alumni of the Urban Design MUD program from Arizona State University have found careers with nationally recognized urban design firms, within public municipalities and agencies in the United States and abroad, and with nonprofit organizations.
- Advanced Urban Design Studio
- Principles of Collaboration in Design
- Great Cities
- Green Building Practices
- Urban Design Issues
- Applied Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Design Urban Planning View 400 other Masters in Architecture in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- letter of intent
- two references
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.