Recognizing the many demands put upon the scholar in the modern world and the wide variety of specialized interests, this program is designed to build an education for your desired career path. You will be able to work alongside experts in the field which will enable you to develop a dynamic understanding of this Master of Arts.
Because of Arizona’s placement to the U.S.- Mexican border, you will also be able to practice your Spanish speaking skills with locals and students located on campus. The School of International Letters and Cultures provides the opportunity for you to dive into studying an exceptional romance language, Spanish.
The Spanish MA program from Arizona State University includes a track in literature and culture, and one in linguistics. While the former includes Spanish, Spanish American and Mexican American literature and culture, the latter includes sociolinguistics or second language acquisition and applied linguistics.
Professionals with this degree can confidently move into further academic, business and international fields. Skills developed through this program are valued for teaching positions, including in museums and libraries; translation work; work in a larger sector such as governmental, diplomatic and international business; and for careers in publishing, media, nonprofits, and international relations.
Career examples include:
- area, ethnic and cultural studies teachers and professors
- foreign language and literature teachers and professors
- interpreters and translators
- reporters and correspondents
- social and community service managers
- Spanish Drama of the Golden Age
- Generation of 1898
- Women in Spanish Literature
- Mexican American Women Writers
- Spanish Linguistics
- History of the Spanish Language
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Students who wish to be considered for a teaching assistant position must apply by January 15.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 698 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree in Spanish from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- personal statement
- resume or curriculum vitae
- writing sample
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 24 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.