The Music Therapy MM program offered at Arizona State University provides students with graduate-level study in the theory, practice and research of music therapy. There is a two-year track for those who have completed either the undergraduate music therapy degree or its equivalent and who are board-certified or hold a similar international music therapy credential. Additionally, ASU offers a three-year track for those who have an undergraduate degree in music but not in music therapy.
The master's degree program fosters an expanded research perspective in music therapy, emphasizing community partnerships and program development with a concentration in the student's area of choice, drawing from a number of possible options. Cognate areas include counseling and counseling psychology, special education, gerontology, social work, audiology and speech-language or other areas of choice from the many options.
Musicians with expertise in performing, composing, teaching, researching, arts advocacy and serving as therapists are in high demand across many sectors and industries, including performing arts organizations, educational institutions, entertainment companies, health and wellness industries, and community arts organizations. Skills such as creativity, collaboration, innovation, entrepreneurship and the focused discipline needed for success as musicians are all highly valued by a wide range of companies and professions. The School of Music, Dance and Theatre graduate programs inspire and empower students to become creative leaders who transform society through music.
Career examples include:
- arts administration
- community arts advocate
- music therapist
- performing musician
- public or community school teacher
- university professor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Therapy
- Music Therapy Theory and Philosophy
- Graduate Clinical Project
- Advanced Practice in Music Therapy
- Research and Music Education
- Supervision and Administration
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 33 credit hours including the required applied project course (MUE 586) and a written comprehensive exam, or
- 33 credit hours, a thesis and a written comprehensive exam, or
- 63 credit hours including the required applied project course (MUE 586) and a written comprehensive exam, or
- 63 credit hours, a thesis and a written comprehensive exam
DisciplinesPsychology Music Counselling View 1037 other Masters in Music in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a U.S. bachelor's or master's degree in music or music therapy from a regionally accredited institution or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's or master's degree from an institution in another country that is officially recognized by that country.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- School of Music application (including a resume and personal statement)
- official transcripts
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 24 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.