You will become qualified to engage in advanced social work practice with individuals, families, organizations and communities and be eligible to apply for a clinical social work license and/or social work manager license.The Social Work (MSW) program from Appalachian State University is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and offers two concentrations:
- Community and Organizational Practice – Prepares students for advanced practice in the range of settings that focus on social problems and social change at the community, organizational and societal levels. The emphasis is on developing and implementing services, social programs and social policies based within the social work value system while providing leadership within communities and organizations. Coursework in this concentration focuses on community organizing and development, social planning, political and social action, government and nonprofit agency administration, and resource development.
- Individuals and Families – Designed for students who intend to go into advanced direct and clinical practice upon graduation. This concentration prepares students for agency-based practice with diverse children, adolescents, adults and families. Coursework in this concentration integrates social work values and ethics, and focuses on the development of the professional relationship, theoretical perspectives, advanced clinical assessment, evidence-based practice and intervention.
- Social Worker
- Clinical Social Worker
- School Social Worker
- Hospital Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Hospice Social Worker
- Child Protective Services Worker
- Adult Protective Services Worker
- Agency Director
- Supervisor / Administrator
- Policy Worker
- Community Organizer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- Practice with Individuals and Families
- Foundations of Social Work Research
- Field Practicum and Seminar
- Social Welfare Policy Analysis and Practice
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 452 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- GRE (score must be no more than 5 years old)
- Resume (Required upload for application submission); letter addressing reasons why applicant wishes to enter the program, not to exceed two pages stating reasons why applicant wishes to enter the program
- Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages.
- 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the appropriate admission test(s), OR 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level from the appropriate admission test(s).
International13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 24 months.
National13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State3630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1815 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Boone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.