Specialty areas include Addictions, Expressive Arts, Gerontology, Health Care, Mental Health, Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities, and the Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music. In consultation with the advisor, the student also may design a unique specialty area.
This Master of Music Therapy (MMT) degree from Appalachian State University, housed in the Hayes School of Music, is designed to meet the standards established by the American Music Therapy Association and the National Association of Schools of Music for the Master of Music Therapy degree.Appalachian also offers two additional options:
- Music Therapy Equivalency – designed for students who hold undergraduate degrees in fields other than music therapy and who wish to prepare for professional certification as a music therapist. The Equivalency program leads to eligibility to take the national music therapy certification examination administered by the Certification Board for Music Therapists. Equivalency applicants whose bachelor’s degree is outside of music will apply for admission to the Bachelor of Music in music therapy as a transfer student.
- Combined Equivalency and Master of Music Therapy – designed for students who hold baccalaureate degrees in music, but not music therapy. Those students may apply for admission to a combined Equivalency and Master of Music Therapy program. In this program, students complete both requirements for eligibility to sit for the examination administered by the Certification Board for Music Therapists and Master's degree requirements. Students in the combined Equivalency/Master's program may take only equivalency courses in the first year of enrollment.
- Music Therapist
- Creative Arts Therapist
- Creative/Expressive Arts Therapist or Supervisor
- Life Enrichment Coordinator/Specialist
- Bereavement Coordinator
- Activity Therapist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Supervision and Collegiate Teaching in Music Therapy
- Advanced Topics in Music Therapy
- Bonny Method of GIM
- Advanced Clinical Improvisation
- Music Therapy Laboratory
- GRE (score must be no more than 5 years old)
- Resume (Required upload for application submission); letter addressing reasons why applicant wishes to enter the program, not to exceed two pages stating reasons why applicant wishes to enter the program
- Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages.
- 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the appropriate admission test(s), OR 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level from the appropriate admission test(s).
International13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 12 months.
National13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State3630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1815 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.