It can qualify students for advanced teacher licensure in high school mathematics, prepare students for community college teaching positions, or serve as excellent preparation for doctoral programs in mathematics or mathematics education.
You will receive a solid foundation in mathematics, pedagogical issues such as collaborative learning, effective classroom teaching, assessment strategies, and the use of technology in the classroom.
As a student in the Master of Arts in Mathematics program at Appalachian State University, you can choose one of two concentrations:
- College Teaching - Designed for students who are interested in teaching mathematics at the college level. The course of study follows the American Mathematical Association of Two Year Colleges (AMATYC) guidelines for faculty preparation, in addition to allowing students to complete a rigorous core of graduate level mathematics.
- Secondary Teaching - Designed for students who are interested in furthering their secondary school teaching credentials. The course of study follows the North Carolina guidelines for advanced (M) licensure in mathematics, as well as CAEP accreditation guidelines on the preparation of master's level mathematics high school teachers.
- Math teacher – high school level
- Math instructor/professor – college-level
- Applications Developer
- Business Analyst
- Data Research and Analytics Consultant
- Financial Consultant
- Information Systems Engineer
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teaching Apprenticeship
- Seminar in the Pedagogy of Mathematics
- Statistical Concepts and Applications II with Probability Modeling
- Technology for Teaching Mathematics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics View 838 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- GRE (score must be no more than 5 years old)
- Resume (Required upload for application submission); letter addressing reasons why applicant wishes to enter the program, not to exceed two pages stating reasons why applicant wishes to enter the program
- Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages.
- 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the appropriate admission test(s), OR 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level from the appropriate admission test(s).
International13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 12 months.
National13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State3630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1815 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.