The Master of Arts program in Appalachian Studies at Appalachian State University is housed in the Center for Appalachian Studies, a regionally recognized hub of learning on the Appalachian region whose resources include the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection and the peer-reviewed Appalachian Journal.
As a student, you will choose from one of two concentrations:
- Appalachian Culture and Music – Focuses on scholarship and research in the social sciences, humanities, and fine and applied arts, seeking to deepen understanding of the Appalachian socio-cultural and historical experience. Provides instruction and opportunities for scholarship on the varieties of music traditions that intersect in the southern Appalachian region.
- Sustainability in Appalachia – Emphasizes applied research and interdisciplinary course work spanning the social and natural sciences as well as the humanities. It provides a foundation for those students who seek to develop the means for meeting the legitimate needs of present generations without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. For students interested in Appalachian and other highland and rural peoples, as well as other peoples threatened by the results of unsustainable practices and patterns, this course of study provides the background in the search for sustainable solutions.
- Community organizer
- County planner
- Folklife interpreter
- Legal council
- Museum director
- News reporter
- Non-profit executive
- Park ranger
- Professional musician
- Program director
- Sustainable agriculture
- University professor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Pedagogy for Appalachian Studies
- Community Based Research
- Ethnographic Field Study
- Cultural Studies
- Gender Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics View 138 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United States
- GRE (score must be no more than 5 years old)
- Resume (Required upload for application submission); two-page statement on academic and professional goals in chosen concentration and the value of regional studies in the contemporary world
- Meeting or exceeding the conditions below does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages.
- 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the appropriate admission test(s), OR 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level from the appropriate admission test(s).
International13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 12 months.
National13704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6852 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State3630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1815 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.