Through access to diverse faculty offering wide expertise and wide-ranging scholarly approaches, students gain a broad understanding of the politics, history, societies, literatures, and cultural experiences of the region.
They develop also a special competence in a chosen area of interest, hone their research skills and ability to think critically about the region, and are encouraged to articulate their findings at an advanced scholarly and professional level. In addition, students are expected to demonstrate at least an intermediate-level proficiency in a Middle Eastern language of their choice.
The MA in Middle Eastern Studies at The City University of New York is designed to serve students with diverse interests and needs. Our flexible planning towards graduation serves both full-time and part-time students, with all classes held in the evening to accommodate those with life and career commitments. We are the only public university MA Program in Middle Eastern Studies in the New York tri-state area, and as such we have a unique experience, support services, and a tradition of access for students of all social, economic, cultural and national backgrounds.
The Program bases its reputation on a distinguished and diverse faculty and student body and on paying close attention to student progress and needs. Prior study of the Middle East and/or proficiency in a Middle Eastern language is an advantage but is NOT a requirement for admission into the Program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- New Ethnographic Writings on the Middle East
- History of the Modern Middle East
- Islamophobia in America
- Prison, Writing, and Human Rights in the Middle East and North Africa
- The Quran: Literary Perspectives
- Race in the Middle East and North Africa
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 626 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A transcript of all college and, if applicable, graduate work
- Two letters of recommendation
- Results of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (Required from international students who are non-native English speakers)
- A writing sample (5-10 pages of a research or analytical paper; the sample may be sent electronically to the Office of Admissions)
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test is optional
International10260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 30 months.
National10260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 30 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
- Part-time: $470 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.