The MA in Classics at The City University of New York prioritizes professional development and experience in the areas of advanced teaching and research skills.
The program facilitates adjust instructor placements and offers teacher training courses for students interested in pursuing a teaching career, and encourages interdisciplinary research via required dissertation and thesis projects which are conducted in close collaboration with the program’s expert faculty.
Ethics and responsibility
Crucial facets of graduate-level study in Classics at The Graduate Center are a commitment to ethical practices in teaching and research, a consideration of the role that Classics study plays in our broader culture, and a focus on diversifying the field and our understanding of it. We seek students willing and eager to ask difficult questions, explore complicated topics, and contribute positively to the field at large.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Proseminar in Classical Studies
- Greek Rhetoric and Stylistics
- Latin Rhetoric and Stylistics
- M.A. translation, Greek or Latin
- History of Greek or Latin Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages General Studies & Classics Literature View 119 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts and letters of recommendation.
- A writing sample is also required.
- Applicants should have, or anticipate having, a bachelor’s degree and a working knowledge of both Latin and Greek, demonstrated by high grades in advanced undergraduate courses and a minimum 2 years (preferably 3 or more) of college Latin or Greek or its equivalent.
- A classics major and the ability to read modern European languages are advantageous, but not required.
- Note that the GRE requirement is currently suspended. Applicants who have already taken the exam are encouraged to submit their scores. Applicants who have not yet taken the exam and are unable to provide scores may be asked to submit additional writing samples or interviews as alternative means of assessing the qualifications typically measured by these standardized tests.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.