The Marine Science MSc program from San José State University prepares students for careers in science, education and outreach, conversation, policy, and management, as well as the pursuit of doctoral degrees related to the marine sciences.
Graduates with Marine Science from San José State University will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental concepts in a particular category of oceanography and marine science.
- Be able to synthesize and integrate across all of these fields, yet achieve a depth of understanding in the student’s individual specialty or field of study.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically analyze scientific research, whether the student’s own research, or that performed by others.
- Pose relevant scientific hypotheses or questions that may then serve to guide thesis research.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the design and implementation of experiments or data collection methodologies to address specific hypotheses/questions.
- Master the skills and tools of data collection and analysis (including analytical and statistical techniques as appropriate) specific to the student’s scientific field of study.
- Demonstrate the ability to place one’s own research within the larger context of relevant field of scientific study and to clearly identify the implications of this research for that field.
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication by being able to present research clearly and concisely. This includes thoughtful and thorough oral and written presentation of their thesis and their responses to questions.
- Marine Ecology
- Geological Oceanography
- Physical Oceanography
- Chemical Oceanography
- Biological Oceanography
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Marine Engineering Marine Studies View 146 other Masters in Marine Studies in United States
- Statement of Purpose - detailing (at a minimum) 1) why you want to study marine science, 2) why you want to attend MLML, 3) your background in marine science, 4) your specific research interests, and 5) what long-term goals you ultimately intend to pursue by attending MLML
- Unofficial Transcripts - from all post-secondary institutions attended; and
- Unofficial GRE scores
- U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, or the completion of a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized, accredited, and approved institution from a country outside of the U.S.
- A 2.5 institutional GPA
- Good academic standing at the last institution attended
- English Language Proficiency Exam
- International Coursework and Degrees
- Submit Declaration of Finance Form
- Submit Bank Letter or Bank Statement
- Submit Copy of Current Passport
- Submit Copy of Current Visa
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
- Non-CA Resident tuition includes an additional $396 per unit.
Living costs for San Jose
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.