The primary purpose of the Master of Social Work (MSW) program at Ohio University is to graduate clinical social workers who have the knowledge and skills for advanced practice in rural environments to improve the well-being of individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
Program Learning Objectives
This Master of Social Work program offered by Ohio University is a competency-based program with 45 practice behaviors at the foundation level and 43 practice behaviors at the advanced level. The 10 social work competencies promulgated by the Council on Social Work Education (2015) are as follows:
- Identify as a professional social worker and conduct oneself accordingly
- Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice
- Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments
- Engage diversity and difference in practice
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice
- Engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment
- Engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well being and to deliver effective social work services
- Respond to contexts that shape practice
- Engage, assess, intervene, and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
The MSW program has five options:
The three-year part-time on-campus option allows applicants to choose to take the first half of the MSW program over two part-time years rather than a single, full-time year. This option involves enrolling in field during years two and three. In the four-year part-time on-campus option, applicants may spread the program out into four years of study, with years two and three requiring enrollment in the field. The MSW degree must be completed within four years of enrollment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Rural Orientation
- Social Welfare Policy and Services
- Social Work Practice I: Foundations of Practice
- Foundation Field
- Direct Practice with Adults, Families, and Communities
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 383 other Masters in Social Work in United States
A degree-seeking application must include:
- Appropriate application fee
- Academic transcripts
- Resume or CV
- Evidence of English Proficiency (non-native speakers of English only)
In addition, an application must include any program-specific materials which may include (but is not limited to):
- Letters of recommendation
- Test scores
- Writing sample
- Personal statement, statement of professional goals, or biographical statement
- Portfolio or audition recording
International12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
National12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State6996 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3498 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Athens
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.