The phrase "public history" refers to the pursuit of historical understanding and interpretation in the public realm. Public historians work in a wide range of professional settings with public audiences of all ages. Places of employment for public historians include archives, museums, historic organizations, historical societies, historic sites, private consulting firms, and historical agencies at all levels of government.The Public History Program at MTSU is grounded in the discipline of history. Students receive an education that carefully balances academic historical methods and scholarship, the intellectual foundations and nature of public history, and professional development in several areas. To prepare students for professional practice, the program partners with a number of on-campus centers and programs, including the Center for Historic Preservation, Albert Gore Research Center, Center for Popular Music, and Walker Library Digital Initiatives. Our goal is to graduate students who are grounded in the basic research, writing, and analytical skills of the discipline; who identify with the professional aims of public history; and who are prepared for life-long learning in professional practice.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Historical Research Methods
- Seminar: Public History
- Oral History: Theory and Methodology
- Essentials of Museum Management
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 489 other Masters in History in United States
- A bachelor's degree with an undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale from an accredited college or university, and
- An acceptable score on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), generally at least 146 verbal. 144 quantitative, and 4.0 on analytical writing.
- Applicants with a 2.75 undergraduate GPA and five or more years of professional work experience may submit a portfolio detailing their professional experience in lieu of the GRE.
- If the portfolio is approved by the MPS Program, you will not be required to take the GRE.
- Applicants who do not meet the criteria for unconditional admission may apply as a non-degree seeking student and take up to 6 hours before officially applying to the program.
International1382 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1382 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National548 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 548 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.