About Educational Studies
Are you a liberally educated, but untrained novice in the education profession with a social conscience that implores you to learn more about education’s problems and possibilities? Or are you an experienced and concerned professional educator who risks adventurous practical experimentation, reads voraciously, and thinks both critically and imaginatively not just about methods and techniques, but also especially about the purposes, meanings, and values of your work? Educational Studies programme is offered at the the University of Oklahoma .
Scholars in the Educational Studies tradition analyze, evaluate, and construct educational narratives, artifacts, archives, concepts, values, purposes, theories, policies, pedagogies, and curricula as well as experimental institutions of learning. The contemporary field’s educational inquiry claims its sources and standards of evidence, conceptual frameworks, analytic techniques, evaluative tools, rules of critical engagement, and pedagogical protocols directly from the arts, humanities, cultural studies, and social sciences—rather than from the behavioral sciences that now frame other fields’ methods of educational research and standards of educational expertise. Such interpretive, critical, and normative inquiries on education may concern any age group or the whole human lifespan, any or all subjects, many aims, diverse cultural contexts, various institutional settings, and even different historical periods.
For further information about the Educational Studies program and advising with regard to preparation of your application for admission, contact the faculty member below whose specialties and approaches most closely match your own interests.
The Educational Studies program offers graduate students in the Jeannine Rainbolt College of Education an option for academically rigorous interdisciplinary learning, pragmatically designed to suit their own individual gifts, backgrounds, and goals as educators. Distinctively grounded in arts, humanities, and social sciences, the Educational Studies field aims to impart practical wisdom and purposeful imagination to the moral work of educating for social justice, nonviolence, and democratic life—wherever such educating may occur, locally or globally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- American Social & Educational Issues in Historical Perspective
- History of American Education
- Educational Thought of John Dewey
- Classics in Educational Thought
- Sociology of Education
- Cultural Pluralism and Education
- Historiography Seminar
- Naturalistic & Qualitative Research in Education
- International Education
- Contemporary Critical Thought & Educational Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Rolling Admissions only during contractual academic year for the Educational Studies faculty
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research View 249 other Masters in Educational Research in United States
- The applicant must have an accredited baccalaureate degree.
- The applicant must have a GPA of 3.0 in previous Educational Studies course work and in relevant liberal arts course work (e.g., history, philosophy, sociology, anthropology, literature, rhetoric, interdisciplinary social and cultural studies), with a minimum of 9 hours completed in such subjects at the 4000 level or above. Candidates who do not meet this requirement may be admitted conditionally, pending completion of 12 credit hours in Educational Studies at the 5000 level with grades of B or better.
International40120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20060 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Resident - 18 credits hours: $6,946
- Non-Resident - 18 credits hours: $16,831
Living costs for Norman
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.