About the Geology program from the University of Oklahoma
Traditionally, this degree level has been favored for professional-level work. The Master of Science degrees in Geology is comprised of 26 hours of graduate credits and four hours of thesis credit. The goals of the M.S. degree programs are to prepare students for careers in geology or geophysics by: (1) providing a broad background in the earth sciences and related sciences and engineering fields through course work; and (2) encouraging critical thinking and analysis in the solution of geological and geophysics problems through independent thesis research.
Each candidate for the Master of Science degree in Geology is required to complete one course in three of the following core areas: geochemistry, geophysics, igneous/metamorphic petrology, stratigraphy- paleontology, sedimentary petrology/sedimentology, and structural geology. In addition, the student is required to complete one approved course (carrying graduate credit) outside geology in science, mathematics or engineering; approval for this outside course must be given by the student's major professor.
Core areas are as follows:
- Igneous and metamorphic petrology
- Paleontology and Paleobiology
- Sedimentary geology
- Structural geology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology Environmental Sciences View 278 other Masters in Geology in United States
Undergraduate and any Graduate Transcripts: the ConocoPhillips School of Geology and Geophysics requires applications have at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- GRE Results (Graduate Record Exam), baseline requirements 31% verbal and 36% quantitative
- TOEFL Scores (this requirement is for international students whose first language is not English)
- Office of Graduate Admissions: English Proficiency Requirements
- Personal Statement
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (ideally from professors that know your performance in an academic setting)
- Information on academic accomplishments, research experience, presentations, and publications.
- Resume or CV (include cumulative GPA)
International40936 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20468 USD per semester during 24 months.
National35004 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17502 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State12050 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6025 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Tuition per 18 credit hours
Living costs for Norman
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.