One of the great strengths of the History program at Fordham University is that graduate students take only graduate courses. Although some of these courses (at the 5000 level) include a few advanced undergraduate history majors, no graduate students take undergraduate lecture-style courses.
The graduate syllabuses are demanding, normally requiring a minimum of 300-400 pages per week of common reading, discussion, and writing assignments that typically add up to 20-25 pages, most of which require additional outside reading and library research. Consult our course offerings and syllabuses by clicking on the appropriate link above.
- Pursue original research in fields related to your interests.
- Develop a strong foundation in critical analysis and persuasive writing.
- Small class sizes and seminars specifically for graduate-level work.
- Integrate and expand your knowledge through interdisciplinary studies.
- Gain skills in textual editing, oral history, archival description, and visual humanities.
- Public and digital history projects make history come alive and speak to broader audiences.
- Take advantage of New York City’s many museums and libraries for research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The year-long proseminar/seminar sequence
- Three additional courses in medieval history
- One more history course in any area
- Two additional history courses in a minor field outside medieval history
- MA research seminar paper
- MA research paper oral exam
- Reading proficiency in one foreign language, including any relevant ancient or modern language
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 492 other Masters in History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission application is considered complete and ready for review only when it consists of your submitted online application and all required supplemental materials.
Letters of Recommendation
- Provide all recommenders with at least one month’s advance notice to submit their recommendations. To facilitate this process, enter each recommender’s name and email address into the application as soon as you begin filling it out. They will be notified electronically of your request before you submit your application.
- GRE exams should be taken at least one month prior to the application deadline to ensure timely receipt of scores by GSAS Admissions. Our GRE school code is 2259.
International1442 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1442 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1442 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1442 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.