The overriding goal is to prepare students for careers as both artists and educators by giving them high-level training and experience in both fields.
Jazz Pedagogy at University of Miami is a unique two-year course of study that includes private instruction on the student’s principal instrument and full participation in the jazz ensemble program at Frost. Students take a wide range of jazz courses that include advanced improvisation, advanced arranging, and composition.
Additionally, pedagogical training and experience are garnered through a broad range of courses such as: The Teaching Artist, World of the Working Musician, seminars in jazz pedagogy, and a course in Jazz Cultures taught by renowned musicologist and jazz scholar Dr. David Ake.
The mission of the Master of Music degree in Jazz Pedagogy is to prepare students for careers in advanced level performance, private music teaching, or entry-level jazz teaching positions in community colleges and four-year institutions of higher learning. It will also provide a foundation for further advanced graduate work at the doctoral level. The underlying philosophy is that the best teachers are also skilled performers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Lessons
- Jazz Ensembles
- Jazz Improvisation
- Jazz Pedagogy and Administration
- Psychology of Music
- Community Music Program
- Large Jazz Ensemble Conducting And Repertoire
- Jazz Composition Seminar
- Advanced Modern Arranging
- Analysis of Jazz Styles
- Transcripts – an official transcript from ALL post-secondary schools attended, regardless of if a degree was granted or not, must be sent directly to the Frost School of Music from the issuing institution in order to be considered official
- Three letters of recommendation - sent through CollegeNet as part of application submission. These do not need to be sent separately
- Resume - attached to the application at the time of submission. This does not need to be sent separately
- GRE Score
- TOEFL/IELTS Score
- Teaching/Conducting Sample
- Writing Sample
International10000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 USD per year during 24 months.
National10000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.