The curriculum emphasizes training of the total musician, with coursework in composition, arranging, improvisation, history, technology, and pedagogy alongside private study on the major instrument. Master’s students have the opportunity to work with Frost’s outstanding faculty in both classroom and private lesson settings. Students obtain performing experience in a wide range of small and large ensembles and participate in numerous highly visible public performances.
Students in the Jazz Performance, Instrumental program from University of Miami have many opportunities to record as both performers and composers in the Studio Music and Jazz Department’s own recording studio, as well in three other state-of-the-art studios on the Frost School of Music campus. In addition, jazz students often collaborate with students in other majors, including media writing, music engineering technology, and contemporary performance. Miami’s vibrant, multicultural music scene offers a wide range of performing and listening opportunities off campus as well.
The mission of the Master of Music Degree program in Studio Music and Jazz Performance is to prepare jazz musicians to enter the music profession and/or pursue doctoral studies. The Master of Music Program in Jazz Performance provides students with opportunities for advanced instrumental or vocal study, jazz improvisation and interaction development, and both small and large group ensemble experience. Our principle focus is on the development of high-level performance skills that will enable a student to pursue a career as a professional studio/jazz musician.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Jazz Composition Seminar
- Master's Recital
- Recital Paper Preparation
- Master's Recital Paper
- Jazz Pedagogy and Administration
- Analysis of Jazz Styles
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts – an official transcript from ALL post-secondary schools attended, regardless of if a degree was granted or not, must be sent directly to the Frost School of Music from the issuing institution in order to be considered official
- Three letters of recommendation - sent through CollegeNet as part of application submission. These do not need to be sent separately
- Resume - attached to the application at the time of submission. This does not need to be sent separately
- GRE Score - Please click here for more specific GRE information
- TOEFL/IELTS Score - Please click here for more specific TOEFL/IELTS information
- Teaching/Conducting Sample
- Writing Sample
International10000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10000 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National10000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10000 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.