Ultimately, this degree program is designed to prepare students for either advanced-level clinical practice, or additional opportunities in research or college teaching.
Students in this specialized Music Therapy with Undergraduate Equivalency program at University of Miami complete one year of undergraduate prerequisite courses in music, music therapy, psychology, and biology. These courses provide the student with entry-level clinical competency. In years two and three, students complete graduate level coursework as required for the Master of Music degree in Music Therapy.
The entire curriculum is built upon the clinical and research paradigm known as Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT). This model utilizes scientific evidence regarding the influence of music on human brain and behavior function to treat neurological, developmental, and medical needs. The NMT approach is becoming increasingly recognized and accepted by the medical community, which helps increase employment for our graduates.
The mission of the Master of Music degree program in Music Therapy at the Frost School of Music is to prepare students to develop:
- advanced and comprehensive musicianship
- independent research skill
- advanced level clinical knowledge and skill for the music therapy profession.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Music Therapy Practice
- Music Therapy Graduate Practicum
- Graduate Forum in Music Therapy
- Master's Thesis
- Music Therapy Research Methods
- Music Therapy Forum
- Functional Techniques in Music Therapy
- Introduction to Music Therapy
- Percussion Techniques
- Vocal Techniques
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 975 other Masters in Music in United States
- Transcripts – an official transcript from ALL post-secondary schools attended, regardless of if a degree was granted or not, must be sent directly to the Frost School of Music from the issuing institution in order to be considered official
- Three letters of recommendation - sent through CollegeNet as part of application submission. These do not need to be sent separately
- Resume - attached to the application at the time of submission. This does not need to be sent separately
- GRE Score
- TOEFL/IELTS Score
- Teaching/Conducting Sample
- Writing Sample
International2100 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2100 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
National2100 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2100 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.