Geological engineering is the application of the knowledge and principles of geology to the solution of problems in engineering practice. These applications include the evaluation of geological conditions for environmental protection studies, for groundwater resource and pollution investigations, for mineral and energy development, for site selection of civil works facilities and for land use and environmental impact analysis.
The Geological Engineering laboratories are well equipped for research relating to physical and hydraulic properties of rock, groundwater hydrology, remote sensing, and geographic information systems. Computer applications are emphasized, and the department has a laboratory equipped with a variety of personal computer equipment for student use. A groundwater hydrology laboratory is equipped to conduct research in subsurface fluid flow and computer facilities are available for the modeling of flow through porous media.
Recent research projects in the GE program include:
- Designing excavating tools for geomaterials on earth and in space.
- Studying blasting efficiency for enhancing productivity in the mining industry.
- Applying mining methods to potential space mining applications, and reducing the size of asteroid on potential collision courses with earth.
- Global sustainability.
- Shale gas and other unconventional energy sources.
- Geologic membrane processes.
- Developing a rock fall hazard rating system for Missouri highways.
- Using LIDAR to research the rock raveling process.
- Multivariate cluster analysis of borehole discontinuity data.
- Developing a virtual geotechnical database for the greater St. Louis Metropolitan Area.
- Pilot seismic hazard assessment of the Granite City Monk Mound and Columbia Bottom Quadrangles, St. Louis Metropolitan Area.
- Creation of a geologic GIS database for the St. Louis Metropolitan Area.
- Bridge deck delamination studies using ground penetrating radar.
- Detection of underground mines and caverns using geophysical methods.
- Subsurface imaging in Karst Terrain.
- Bridge pier scour investigations.
- Applying stochastic analysis to groundwater remediation design.
- Developing sustainable point of use drinking water systems in developing areas.
- Using renewable energy systems to power active groundwater pumping and remediation systems.
- Characterizing the reliability of wind and solar energy system prediction models.
It is the policy of the Missouri University of Science and Technology to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status; to prohibit discrimination in recruitment, employment or conditions of employment, including salary and benefits related thereto; to promote employment opportunity and to take affirmative action in this regard.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Include:
- Geological Engineering Design
- Engineering and Design
- Remote Sensing Technology
- Applications Of Geographic Information Systems
- Risk Assessment In Environmental Studies
- Environmental Geological Engineering
- Geological Aspects Of Hazardous Waste Management
- Groundwater Remediation
- Introduction to International Engineering and Design
- Advanced Environmental Aspects Of Mining
- Groundwater Modeling
- Subsurface Hydrology
- Fundamentals of Groundwater Hydrology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
Priority Application Deadlines
DisciplinesGeology General Engineering & Technology View 221 other Masters in Geology in United States
- A submitted online application
- $75 non-refundable application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts (in English) from all colleges and universities attended. All unofficial copies of transcripts and scores can be uploaded to your online application for S&T to review. Upon arrival on campus, you must request that an official copy of your transcript(s) to be sent to us directly from your previous university’s registrar's office and all official scores reported directly from the respective testing agency. Once we receive the official documents, we will verify them. If there are any discrepancies between the unofficial documents you submitted, Missouri S&T will withdraw your admission and you will not be allowed to apply to S&T in the future.
- A statement of purpose
- A resume or curriculum vitae
International29298 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29298 USD per year during 12 months.
National27580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27580 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8864 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Missouri City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.