MBE faculty, students, and their many international collaborators participate in multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary research programs. The University of Miami Rosenstiel School hosts many research centers and groups, such as the experimental hatchery, The National Center for Coral Reef Research, the Rescue-a-Reef citizen science initiative, and the world-renowned NIH/University of Miami National Resource for Aplysia.
Graduate students of the Marine Biology and Ecology program can choose from a diversity of research areas and coursework taught by internationally recognized scientists studying corals and climate change, fisheries biology, and conducting biomedical research.
The mission of the Marine Biology and Ecology (MBE) MS program is to train the next generation of scientists in the fundamental skills, knowledge, and practice of biology of the oceanic environment.
Through coursework and independent research, we strive to prepare our students for positions in academia, government, or industry in jobs that leverage their skills in critical thinking, current technical knowledge such as statistical analysis and modeling, and understanding of the global marine environment.
Our program commits to inspire graduates to continued scholarship, service, and innovation in an environment that is inclusive and diverse.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biology of Marine Mammals
- Marine Mammal Disease and Medicine
- Marine Mammal Applied Behavior Analysis and Managed Care
- Biometrics in Marine Science
- Tropical Marine Biology: A Field Course
- Tropical Marine Ecology
- Coral Reef Biology, Ecology, And Conservation
- Field Techniques and Instrumentation in Tropical Marine Ecology
- Oceanic Productivity
- Oceans and Human Health
- Marine Population Assessment Surveys And Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics View 987 other Masters in Biology in United States
- Most successful applicants have a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences including a strong foundation in physical sciences (chemistry, physics, calculus) and basic biological sciences. However, applicants with a diversity of other degrees also are successful.
- Applicants should contact specific faculty to discuss mutual research interests. Applicants must take the GRE, and those whose first language is not English must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 550.
- The advanced biology GRE is not required.
- Courses in marine biology and oceanography are not necessary for entrance into the program and are not recommended if taken in place of basic biology courses.
International2213 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2213 USD per credit during 12 months.
National2213 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2213 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.