This field fosters scientific inquiry and the application of expedition skills within a context that acknowledges the cultural and ethical implications of exploration.
As scientific endeavors become more specialized, many projects require hundreds of hours of hands-on research. Exploration Science at University of Miami combines scientific research theory and field skills with an outreach and educational platform that allows the general public, young and old, to join University of Miami research scientists for experiential and virtual expeditions in ecological, oceanographic, aviation and diving research.
Utilizing new technologies to engage and educate the public, Exploration Science students will be involved in citizen science project design, exploration technology applications, and field-based skills training, while receiving essential background information on the history, ethics and risks related to exploration. Students will be able to tailor their degree to best fit their interests and goals and will be prepared to lead and conduct professional exploration initiatives and expeditions in a variety of environments.
The Professional Science - Exploration Science degree prepares students for science careers in industry, government, and non-profit organizations, where employment demands are growing. MPS degrees were developed and implemented nationally in response to employer demands for well-rounded, highly trained employees with a breadth of knowledge and practical skills to address emerging environmental issues and improve the management of natural and cultural resources.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Diving
- Boat Handling
- Citizen and Participatory Science
- Gold and Glory: Ethics of Exploration
- Introduction to Marine GIS
- Marine GIS Lab
- Exploration Technology and Media
- Field Techniques and Instrumentation in Tropical Marine Ecology
- Environmental Policy and the Environmental Impact Statement
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, National
- 31 - 32 credits
DisciplinesMarine Engineering View 52 other Masters in Marine Engineering in United States
- Online CollegeNet application
- Transcripts from all institutions in which a degree(s) was awarded and a transcript evaluation (for non-U.S. academic institutions)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (for international applicants)
International43890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 43890 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National43890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 43890 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.