About the Program
The Materials Science and Engineering program at University of Nevada, Reno combines upper-level coursework with the opportunity to conduct research on a topic within materials science and write a thesis.
- Thesis option (Plan A)
- Coursework-only, non-thesis option (Plan B)
Current areas of advanced study and research in materials science and engineering at UNR include:
- Physical and mechanical metallurgy
- Alloy development
- Materials processing
- Nuclear materials
- Materials for energy storage
- Materials modeling and simulation
- Other advanced materials
- Advanced Physical Metallurgy
- Electron Microscopy
- Advanced Corrosion Principles
- X-Ray Diffraction
- Alloy Selection and Failure Analysis
- Solidification and Crystal Growth
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Plan A: 30 units
- Plan B: 32 units
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 238 other Masters in Chemical Engineering in United States
- Students must have an undergraduate degree in a related field (preferably a field of engineering)
- Hold a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 for four years of undergraduate work
- Earn acceptable scores on the verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination (required for Ph.D. program, optional for M.S. program)
- Students whose native language is not English, must earn an acceptable score on the TOEFL or IELTS unless they have completed BS/MS degrees from institutions in select English speaking countries
- Submit letters of recommendation from former professors indicating the student’s capability for advanced course work and research
International21592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21592 USD per year during 12 months.
National21592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21592 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State5500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5500 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Reno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.