A master's degree in biology expands your scientific skills and can open doors to new educational and job opportunities. Many students pursue a master's before continuing their education in medical or veterinary school, while others earn their advanced degree as part of their teaching career.
At the University of Rochester, the MS degree in biology is offered on a full- or part-time basis. Applicants to the program are expected to have a bachelor's degree in biology or a related field.
Biology master's students at Rochester choose either a research-based (Plan A) or course-based (Plan B) degree program. Both plans require 30 credit hours.
The Plan A (research-based) master’s degree requires an independent thesis based in part on original material. Students are not permitted to take fewer than six credits and more than 12 credits of research. Students must also pass an oral examination on the thesis. Plan A students can expect a close working relationship with biology faculty. The Department encourages students to pursue a research-based master's program.
The Plan B (coursework-based) master’s degree allows students to tailor coursework to their specific interests. They may take a maximum of six credits of research and are required to take a minimum of six courses offered by the biology department. Plan B students are also required to take a comprehensive written exam.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Molecular Biology
- Human Anatomy
- Computational Biology
For more information, please visit the programme website.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics Genetics View 883 other Masters in Biology in United States
- Admission to graduate programs in Arts, Sciences and Engineering is highly competitive. A qualified applicant needs a strong academic record, as evidenced by high grades in relevant coursework and strong performance on the GREs, as well as comprehensive letters of recommendation
- Additionally, many applicants have research experiences that have resulted in publications
- An online application
- A personal statement
- College transcripts (for all schools attended)
- Scores on the GRE and TOEFL or IELTS, if applicable
- Three letters of recommendation (letters must be on letterhead and must be submitted online by the recommender)
International1654 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1654 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1654 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1654 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.