About the program
- To teach performance, education, therapy, composition, theory, and musicology passionately and creatively, helping our students prepare for the future as outstanding practitioners of their disciplines.
- To perform, compose, and speak about music with artistry and intelligence as we foster its greater appreciation and understanding on our campus and throughout the region.
- To engage our community, state, nation, and world in every manner possible as a leading comprehensive music school.
We hold that
- Music serves as a powerful constant, enriching and enlightening all societies.
- Excellence in musical study helps prepare students for creative, collaborative work in many disciplines.
- Close interaction with dedicated, inspiring teachers sets students on the path to success.
- All programs at the state’s flagship university must strive for excellence and diversity, serving as a beacon for knowledge and multicultural awareness in an age of technological change and global interconnectedness.
The Master of Music (MM) degree at University of Kansas requires a minimum of 30 credits and is designed to further the student’s knowledge, practice and experience in the following areas of study:
- Performance instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, trumpet, French horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, violin, viola, cello, double bass, opera, voice, organ, piano, carillon, and harp
- Church Music with choral or organ emphasis
- Conducting: Choral, Orchestral, Wind
- Music Composition
- Music Theory
Students will be studying with faculty members who are nationally and internationally recognized in their fields and their instruments. Courses in Music Theory and Musicology are part of the in depth exploration of advanced music as are private instruction, ensemble and chamber music opportunities, and either a final performance recital or thesis.
With this degree, students can go on to pursue doctoral studies in music, establish private studios, audition for music ensembles, or create their own challenges in music or music-related endeavors.
- Music Composition
- Church Music
- Music Theory
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology View 1122 other Masters in Music in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Scanned copies of official transcripts from ALL post-secondary schools attended
- Email addresses of three (3) references for letters of recommendation
- Repertoire list - Performance applicants
- Scholarly writing sample: Organ, Church Music, Musicology and Music Theory applicants
- PDF files or links to three (3) original scores (and recordings if available) - Composition applicants
- Dvd or weblink showing the applicant conducting in performance and rehearsal - Conducting applicants.
International24791 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24791 USD per year during 12 months.
National24791 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24791 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State10829 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10829 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.