Master of music in Music Therapy degree at the University of Kentucky training begins at the undergraduate level with required coursework in the following three areas: music therapy, behavioral sciences, and core music courses. Many students however, often come to music therapy at the graduate level by participating in equivalency master’s programs. An equivalency master’s program allows individuals to make up any missed prerequisites not taken at the undergraduate level before completing the master’s coursework in music therapy.
In order to prepare for an equivalency master’s program, there are certain courses that you can take during your undergraduate training or prior to entering the program. The following information provides a list of suggested course areas based on the competencies required for music therapy. Please note that info provided is by area and not by courses title. Individual titles may vary from institution to institution, so it is vital to keep documentation (syllabi, course catalog info, etc.) in order to demonstrate that the competencies have been covered.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Music Theory (aural and written)
- Music History
- Improvisation/Movement Courses (Example: Orff)
- Primary Instrument Performance/Lessons
- Ensemble Participation
- Guitar, Piano and Voice (Proficiency is required in all three of these areas.)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic View 952 other Masters in Music in United States
- The University of Kentucky requires a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) on the Test of
- English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all applicants whose native language is not English
- (or who did not graduate from an accredited English-speaking College or University). The
- equivalent score on the computer version of the TOEFL is 213 and the internet-based test is 79.
- Applicants may also utilize the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to
- satisfy the language requirement. A minimum mean band score of 6.5 is required. Submitted
- scores must be no more than two years old.
International33548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33548 USD per year during 12 months.
National33548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33548 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13674 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13674 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lexington-Fayette
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.