The graduate program includes courses leading to the master of arts degree and the doctor of philosophy degree in composition, ethnomusicology, musicology, and theory. The master of Music degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara and the doctor of musical arts degree in musical performance are designed to provide graduate and professional training in the intellectual, practical, and professional skills increasingly demanded of performers in this century.
- The Department of Music curriculum includes undergraduate courses which lead to completion of either of two degrees: (1) the bachelor of arts in music, or (2) the bachelor of music, a professional degree in performance or composition.
- The undergraduate major programs are designed to serve as background for professional careers in music, as preparation for graduate studies, or as an area of concentration for a liberal arts education.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- The deadline has been extended to April 1 in past years but is not guaranteed.
DisciplinesMusic View 1010 other Masters in Music in United States
- Applicants must have completed a master of music degree or its equivalent. A live audition is required, comparable in scope to a full recital demonstrating the applicant’s command of several musical styles.
- Applicants will submit a repertory list and programs and reviews of concerts performed. In addition to departmental requirements for admission, applicants must fulfill university requirements for admission to graduate status described in the “Graduate Education” section of this catalog.
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.