The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara features an outstanding faculty. Ten faculty members hold membership in the National Academy of Engineering, which reflects an exceptionally high national standing.
Further, several faculty members have been awarded the most prestigious prizes and awards in their respective fields, including the NSF Career Award, the Sloan Fellowship, the Humboldt Senior Scientist Award, the APS Fluid Dynamics Prize, the ASM Gold Medal, and the SIAM Dahlquist Prize. Faculty in the department look forward to the opportunity to collaborate with talented and motivated graduate students.
Students must choose a major field from among five stem areas presently offered by the department:
- Bioengineering and Systems Biology
- Computational Science and Engineering
- Dynamic Systems, Controls and Robotics
- Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Transport
- Microscale Engineering, including MicroElectroMechanical Systems (MEMS), Bio-MEMS, and Microfluidics
- Solid Mechanics, Materials and Structures
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering View 432 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United States
- The minimum cumulative GPA for all applicants is 3.0.
- The Graduate Record Examination (General Test only) is required of all applicants
- The Mechanical Engineering Department ONLY accepts applications for the Fall Quarter.
- The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) at UCSB serves the needs of international students and scholars, including assistance with visa status. International students apply through the UCSB Graduate Division, and upon acceptance to the MS or PhD program, OISS will assist with immigration documents and procedures.
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.