The M.S. requirements are designed to provide maximum flexibility to accommodate individual student interests while also assuring a basic level of competence in marine science.
M.S. in Marine Science at the University of California, Santa Barbara candidates follow an integrated course of study recommended by their thesis advisor and thesis committee. The thesis committee is nominated by the end of the first year and consists of three ladder faculty from the Interdepartmental Program, with the major professor serving as committee chair.
- The Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Marine Science (IGPMS) offers studies leading to the master of science and doctor of philosophy degrees in marine science.
- This program recognizes the intrinsic interdisciplinary nature of modern marine science and the necessity for cross-disciplinary, graduate-level training through a program which brings together many marine faculty located in nine departments on the UCSB campus.
- These include the departments of Anthropology; Chemistry and Biochemistry; Chemical Engineering; Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology; Earth Science; Geography; Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology; Mechanical Engineering; and the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMarine Engineering View 68 other Masters in Marine Engineering in United States
- Applicants may apply for either the M.S. or Ph.D. degree program. The M.S. program is small and oriented toward research. An M.S. degree is not required to enter the Ph.D. program.
- Applicants are required to submit the UCSB application for graduate admission, official undergraduate transcripts, three letters of recommendation from individuals who can best assess the applicant’s academic and research potential, and the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- The minimum TOEFL score for consideration is 550 when taking the paper-based test (PBT) and 80 when taking the internet-based test (IBT). The minimum IELTS score for consideration is an Overall Band Score of 7 or higher.
International12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
National12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12570 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.