The curriculum examines the experiences of Chicana and Chicano communities through subfields that encompass history and narrativity, cultural production, and social processes. Among the first of its kind, this graduate program links theory with practice, scholarship with teaching, and the academy with the community.
Please note that the Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara does not offer a terminal masters degree. Admission is into a doctorate program only.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The Chicana/o Studies Department engages students in the interdisciplinary study of Chicana and Chicano history, culture, and politics.
- Our students explore Chicana/o experiences in their most broad, comprehensive sense, informed by several philosophical and theoretical schools, historical and political scholarship, literary and religious traditions, artistic movements, mass media, and video and film.
- In partnership with affiliated faculty across campus and feminist and Black Studies Ph.D. emphasis programs, the B.A./Honors/M.A./Ph.D. programs in Chicana and Chicano Studies challenge students to link theory with practice, scholarship with teaching, and the academy with the community.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Languages View 402 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and Resume or CV (submitted in the online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submitted online)
- TOEFL scores 550 Paper-Based Test (PBT), 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Overall Band score of 7 or higher (if applicable)
- Writing Sample (submitted in the online application)
- Final/Official transcripts will be required for all applicants who are admitted and have indicated their intent to enroll at UC Santa Barbara by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
International27672 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27672 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National27672 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27672 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State12570 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12570 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.