The curriculum is regularly reviewed by faculty, which includes nationally and internationally recognized leaders in print and digital publication. This ensures that the Master of Professional Studies provides a solid background for entry into all areas of publishing. Professionals already in the field of publishing can use this program to enhance their careers with exposure to the latest technological advances.
To earn the Master of Professional Studies, students must complete 30 credit hours. Core coursework provides a broad foundation of the entire industry, regardless of method of delivery (book, journal, or online), with five tracks focusing on professional roles: editorial, business, design, marketing, and technology.
The Publishing program offered by George Washington University is designed for current and aspiring professionals. Some students include post-bachelor and post-graduate students who have earned their degrees in other disciplines but desire careers in publishing. Current publishing professionals can sharpen their skills and expand their knowledge through high-level coursework.
The master’s degree in Publishing integrates traditional print with digital publishing topics, including editorial acquisitions, production and design, copyright law in print and cyberspace, marketing, distribution, management and business. Taught by nationally and internationally recognized leaders, you will master the skills required for traditional print publishing as well as online and electronic publishing.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Book and Journal Publishing
- The Business of Publishing
- Copyright Law in Print & Cyberspace
- Marketing Strategies
- Book Design
- Publishing Management, Organization, and Strategy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
- StartingApply anytime.
- Students are usually admitted for the fall semester. If you are interested in a spring/ summer start, please contact the department for details.
DisciplinesDesign Marketing View 555 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two (2) recommendations (preferably one from a current supervisor)
- Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be uploaded to your online application. Official transcripts are required only of applicants who are offered admission.
- Statement of purpose
- A resumé
International31350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1045 USD per credit during 24 months.
National31350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1045 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.