The Mechanical Engineering program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers two options:
- The Thesis option
- Coursework Only option
All M.S. students who choose the Thesis Option are required to plan and carry out a research, design, or development thesis (MIE 699) of nine credits, and 21 course credits.
Course Requirements for a Master of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering
In addition to the Graduate School requirements stated in the Graduate School Catalog, all M.S. students in the Mechanical Engineering program are required to take a minimum of four (4) Mechanical Engineering courses at the 600 or higher level. Overall at least 21 credits at the 600-level are required. All Graduate Students must register for the ME Graduate Seminar Course.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The student must successfully complete at least 30 graduate (500 level or above) credits. Thesis or project credits do not count towards this total.
- At least 21 credits must be at the 600 level or above.
- At least 21 credits must be Mechanical and Industrial Engineering courses.
- A maximum of 6 credits can be from an independent study.
- The student must take at least four of the ME (not IE) courses at the 600-level or higher.
- Credits that apply to any other degree program, with the exception of graduate certificate programs, cannot be applied to this degree.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 907 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- Applicants must complete a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association; or complete an international degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a college or university recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency.
- Application Fee ($80)
- Please submit your transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, undergraduate and graduate, where nine (9) or more credits were earned.
- Personal Statement and Résumé
- Most programs require a minimum of two letters of recommendation, but some programs require more.
- Residency Statement
- GRE or GMAT Scores
International20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4671 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.